Friday, April 15, 2011

Homeopathy for Babies

Our six-month-old has been sick with the sniffles and teething. I've been trying to move away from giving my kids Tylenol and Ibuprofen, because I have read about bad effects from longterm use. Enter the Hyland's Kids Kit!


After a bit of research, I ordered this 7-piece kit off Amazon. It contains child-size dosages for common ailments (fever, bruises, inflammation, coughs, runny noses, etc.). I have long wanted to learn more about homeopathy but haven't had time yet. So far I've learned that homeopathy is based on the principle that "like cures like." That's to say that if something in nature causes symptoms like the ones you have, taking that something in a tiny dose will also cure those symptoms.

As that is about the extent of my knowledge, I rely heavily on the easy-to-use remedies made by Boiron and Hyland's. (Although my husband and I swear by a semi-obscure one to get rid of post-nasal drip. It's called Hydrastis Canadensis or Goldenseal.)

For the last two days, I've been giving the little one both Chamomilla (for teething and irritability) and Hepar Sulphuris (for runny nose and cough). It has really worked. Her runny nose dried up, and she seems more pleasant. Additionally, when I missed a dose or two, the symptoms returned.

There are plenty of nay-sayers when it comes to homeopathy. The primary criticisms are 1) the active ingredients are so diluted that any salubrious workings are due only to the placebo effect, and 2) the active ingredients in these "sugar pills" are often toxic in nature.

Perhaps I don't fully understand their argument, but it seems a bit contradictory to me. Here are my thoughts on the subject:
1) I like the idea that God created plants and other things that, when used medicinally, will help heal even our commonest ailments.
2) There is an ever-expanding list of drugs and medicines that have been concocted by scientists using animal poisons, so it makes sense to me that plant poisons could also be beneficial.
3) Don't vaccines work by giving someone a tiny/ineffectual bit of bad stuff? Why couldn't things in nature work the same way?
4) I have experienced these medicines work. And I don't mind paying ~ $3 per cold, even if it is only the placebo effect that's making me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment